Is it just me, or is it taking blank bluray media FOREVER to come down?

tybert7

2[H]4U
I get it, new technology, different manufacturing process requiring more capital initially... but it has been YEARS.

What is the problem?

the 25GB discs need to get to the dollar a disc range, and the 50GB discs can be around 3-4, but no more.

More people would buy the damn drives if you did not have to mortgage a home to get blank discs.

i dont think the dollar for a 25gb disc is gonna happen anytime soon, let alone a dl 50gb disc for $4 for the next few years.

but if you think thats bad, you should check out the current prices for DL DVDs which have been out for almost 7 years now. i spent $45 for a pack of 25 memorex dl dvds a couple weeks ago, which averages out to $1.80 without tax, and with it $1.93, which is almost double the price you are expecting for a bd disc that carriers over 3x as much data :D

Yes, this is the greatest downfall of blueray, letting sony win the war. They screwed up with their media stick format which no camera or equipment uses except sony cameras and they screwed up with their DRM encryption and the issues of the sony rootkit ehich caused a plague of pirated media and they screwed us all over for using an expensive medium. hddvd had more potential at being more cost effective medium since it utilized the same wavelength process as regular dvd's and didn't require the purchase of new machinery to process the higher capacity dvd's. All that was different was that there was thinner more compact layers of data and that the laser would have to focus on more layers and at different positions. And for those who complained that 15gb wasn't enough, dvd's could hold 2hrs of hd content, which is the length of most common movies today. who has the time to watch more than 2hrs of video in one sitting? Now we are left with 54gb of tinkerbell on HD blueray disks. Thanks Sony.

Dvd quality is usually 720p and Bluray quality is usually 1080p. Huge difference.

eek im fairly certain the color and resolution will have something to say about dvd quality being 720p. if dvd's were actually 720p then blurays would never stand a chance in hell of gaining marketshare.

they are stupid though. you take away people's ability to use a wanted technology and the people will simply use other technology to get what they want. bluray media too expensive? that's fine, the internet has something to say about $4 blank media. its funny how, naturally, its still easier for people to just stop at a store and buy blank media. however, if you make that media so goddamn overpriced then you are actually encouraging the internet to step in and offer a better deal.

if you think thats bad, you should check out the current prices for DL DVDs which have been out for almost 7 years now. i spent $45 for a pack of 25 memorex dl dvds a couple weeks ago, which averages out to $1.80 without tax, and with it $1.93, which is almost double the pric

:eek:

Why not just pay the 20pk Verbatim for roughly $25 from newegg?

I can't imagine the demand for blank Blu-Ray and DL DVD media being anywhere that for blank DVD and even CD media. Apparently regular blank DVDs and CDs are enough for most people out there. Of course, that also means that there's little chance the other types will get cheaper any time soon. As the DL DVD example shows, this could take a year or 10, if not longer.

:eek:

Why not just pay the 20pk Verbatim for roughly $25 from newegg?

i use 8x discs for the increased speed, which costs more than the standard 2.4x. But yes, it does seem that it is a few dollars cheaper to get the Verbatims online, its just that when i first started buying them a year or two ago, the memorex was the cheapest price, and the about the same online and in store, so i just decided to settle with the 25 for $45 :p

Dvd quality is usually 720p and Bluray quality is usually 1080p. Huge difference.

Actually, 480p, which denotes 480 lines of vertical resolution.
That being said, check out Club CD Freaks, they have group orders from time to time. I got 20 4X BD-R discs, TDK, from the Japanese eBay site nikonekoYA! for 4500 rupees, app. 90$ USD shipped.

It doesn't matter.

When BluRay finally gets cheaper, it's because Media Centers (xBox Live) would already have HD 1080p streaming. (right now, only DVD quality via NetFlix).
Also, I can use my PC for media storage.
BluRay is just a convinient, though expensive, backup format.

I also don't use bluray for data... because I have a 16gb flash drive and a network?

I can't imagine the demand for blank Blu-Ray and DL DVD media being anywhere that for blank DVD and even CD media. Apparently regular blank DVDs and CDs are enough for most people out there. Of course, that also means that there's little chance the other types will get cheaper any time soon. As the DL DVD example shows, this could take a year or 10, if not longer.

the reason DL DVD's stayed high was legal pressure from the MPAA and the other greasy assholes. they slept through the launch of recordable dvd's, but they sure werent going to let that happen again. (also why you saw normal dvd movies get loaded up with enough crap added content to make them not fit on a regular dvd5. ) if DL dvd blanks were 60 cents a piece, i know i would buy them. they dont cost anything more to make, so i refuse to pay more then what the additional space is valued at.

the reason DL DVD's stayed high was legal pressure from the MPAA and the other greasy assholes. they slept through the launch of recordable dvd's, but they sure werent going to let that happen again. (also why you saw normal dvd movies get loaded up with enough crap added content to make them not fit on a regular dvd5. ) if DL dvd blanks were 60 cents a piece, i know i would buy them. they dont cost anything more to make, so i refuse to pay more then what the additional space is valued at.

So... if we take down the **AA we'll get cheaper blank optical media? Sounds like a deal! :D

*grabs her pitchfork and torch* ;)

What, where did this come from, where ever it was its wrong. DVD is 480p at best.

I got to agree, with DVD-DL still going for well over a $1 a disk it will also be a long time for Blu-ray to get more reasonable.

The last time I got a Newegg email or something that had BlueRay and DVD blank media, the BlueRay media was expensive but about the same price per GB.

I would like BlueRay to come down as well, but just because of the backup capability. I don't even have a hi-def TV yet!

No flaming please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like BR media for storage. One disk holding that much data has great potential. And with streaming becoming a bigger and bigger option, I do not see the medium sticking around as a source for movies and entertainment for too much longer.

If they were thinking forword they would see that Netflix, On Demand and Hulu, etc are winning, and that soon everything will be a matter of a button click away. Make it easier for people who want to use the medium as a storgage solution.

i use 8x discs for the increased speed, which costs more than the standard 2.4x. But yes, it does seem that it is a few dollars cheaper to get the Verbatims online, its just that when i first started buying them a year or two ago, the memorex was the cheapest price, and the about the same online and in store, so i just decided to settle with the 25 for $45 :p

Why not just use a certain dvd writer that writes those 2.4 discs at 8x. My benQ writer can easily manage. MKM 001 is the media code for the particular verbatim DL discs.

I don't think the prices will ever come down too much. I think they are artificially set that high so piracy is deterred/affected. Sure you can copy to media that has less capacity but you have to take stuff out and compress the video. Just my opinion.

hddvd had more potential at being more cost effective medium since it utilized the same wavelength process as regular dvd's and didn't require the purchase of new machinery to process the higher capacity dvd's.

sorry but thats incorrect, both BR and HDDVD used 405nm violet lasers

Wow this thread just won't die... :)

Anyway, the primary reason for the cost? Licensing fees... every time you see that Blu-ray logo on anything, including every damned Blu-ray blank disc, Sony is getting a cut and they set the cut price so, it's going to stay expensive for a long time to come.

It's not about capacity, it's not about technology, it's about Sony being money grubbing pricks in the big picture.

Wow this thread just won't die... :)

Anyway, the primary reason for the cost? Licensing fees... every time you see that Blu-ray logo on anything, including every damned Blu-ray blank disc, Sony is getting a cut and they set the cut price so, it's going to stay expensive for a long time to come.

It's not about capacity, it's not about technology, it's about Sony being money grubbing pricks in the big picture.

It's not just Sony who gets a cut. There are several other companies whom you can blame as well.

What did Diablo2K say? Was it the comment about the scrolls of Roswell? I swear, you guys are in on the cover-up!

What did Diablo2K say? Was it the comment about the scrolls of Roswell? I swear, you guys are in on the cover-up!

My Wife would get that joke, diehard D/D2 player... and longing for D3 at some point as well. :)

Lord Nassirbannipal:

Yes, but most people don't know those other are wholly owned subsidiaries of Sony Entertainment!!! SHHH!!!! :D

Back