Homeworld 3

I understand why mission 1-11 were so easy. They must realize they could not figure out how to get basic commands working. The more units you have it becomes impossible to command a medium sized fleet. RU collectors don't go after what is close or logical. As an example, I have three unused asteroids with 1500 RUs each. I have my RU collectors right by them. They finish mining one rock, and then the options are as follows:

1) They sit there for eternity unless you target the specific rock.
2) You click the auto harvest, and instead of going for the fresh rock that is right fucking next to it, they decide to find some obscure rock on the other side of the map that is not defended.

This makes auto harvest useless and you have to manually click each RU collector and each rock. You also cannot do this from the sensor control view, or when zoomed out. You have to manually zoom you camera right up to it as you cannot issue commands through map objects. So when RU rocks are between map objects that means you need to spend 60-90 seconds every few minutes to zoom in to issue a command. And even then not every single click seems to register.

Maybe the final mission is complete-able, but I am about to give up until they can figure out basic commands. We're talking the most basic features, like being able to issue basic orders through the sensor screen or without camera line of sight not being implemented. How fucking dumb could they be?

The RU one is the worst thing right now. The weird part is that it effects SP only but in the war games the RU collectors automatically move.

The game isn’t that bad. It doesn’t need much to fix some issues. And I’m excited to see what more gets added to war games mode.

I saw an interesting post on a youtube video about HW3, similar to allegations of Starfields development. Namely that many modern games have these bugs or features that don't work because parts of the code is parceled out to different studios and then when you try to put it all together things don't work so well.

The video I linked from 3 months ago of the beta/demo 3 months ago that showed the drag selection boxes couldn't even properly select ships.

The RU one is the worst thing right now. The weird part is that it effects SP only but in the war games the RU collectors automatically move.

The game isn’t that bad. It doesn’t need much to fix some issues. And I’m excited to see what more gets added to war games mode.

I'd give it a 5 / 10 right now. Add in some bug fixes and it is easily a 6.5 or so. It needs more content and whatnot for skirmish and I'd probably go higher. They need to be quick with quality of life improvements and non-paid content to save this. I'm wondering how the tech trees will be on the new factions. It does not feel like there can be much diversity given how flat the current ones are. But large deviation may introduce balancing issues.

For the RU collecting, this is what I am referring to in the green circle.

20240517131513_1.jpg

If I click on a RU controller, and click the RU triangle, it won't go to it. I have to manually maneuver the camera for visual line of sight. Same issue when in the sensor mode. That is just one issue. If it is intentional that is just dumb.

On the last mission, this Core Dock is giving me issues. The second mothership you get has some issues getting the core dock to work, but it worked fine on the last 5. Sometimes it just loiters around, other times it doesn't seemingly register to dock rather than a regular move command. I've seen the main mothership get stuck on the space station below so I am wondering if it is a collision issue.

20240517133007_1.jpg

Other things are annoying. The quick command menu in the lower right does not have a retire/scrap option. Right mouse and holding ALT will bring up the menu after you selected something but it would be nice if it was quicker to access. With ships being able to build multiple items at once having more than one carrier is kind of useless, on normal at least. Swapping between production ships is clumsy. When selecting a production ship it should default the Build/Research menu to the ship selected.

Only played a few of the missions so far, but it seems OK. Not on the level of HW, HW-C or HW2, but OK. My main gripe is the "terrain" as it was not needed in the older games as they created depth in open space through mission design. Controls and fleet management also feels a bit clumsy as it feels like they must be micro managed constantly. Ended up setting fighters to not autolaunch, otherwise they would just be slaughtered if they came under attack while I was busy with other tasks. I also miss the auto collection of resources and the end of missions as the missions end automatically instead of when you want to.

Soooooooo its been added to the Sweet Baby Inc detected steam list.....next level retardation that an RTS game needs to pander to DEI.

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44858017/

Good thing I didn't pre-order. Fucking Gearbox.
Not a big fan of sweet baby inc. Not sure how much of their input was used in the games I own that they touched, but the titles I've played that I know they have touched are on the weak side to me when it comes to narrative. If they are writing consultants then i would say they do a very poor job. The story in Alan wake 2 and Assassins Creed Valhalla weren't that interesting to me and they both sit at around 30% complete despite being bought on launch.

The story in HW3 isn't great either, but I knew that when I bought it as several reviews complained about it. The first Homeworld had a simple, but great delivery of the story that had scale to it and was an effective tool to motivate you to play the missions. I don't really need a complicated personal story in my RTS, just a good reason and context to why I play a mission.

Not a big fan of sweet baby inc. Not sure how much of their input was used in the games I own that they touched, but the titles I've played that I know they have touched are on the weak side to me when it comes to narrative. If they are writing consultants then i would say they do a very poor job. The story in Alan wake 2 and Assassins Creed Valhalla weren't that interesting to me and they both sit at around 30% complete despite being bought on launch.

The story in HW3 isn't great either, but I knew that when I bought it as several reviews complained about it. The first Homeworld had a simple, but great delivery of the story that had scale to it and was an effective tool to motivate you to play the missions. I don't really need a complicated personal story in my RTS, just a good reason and context to why I play a mission.
The weakest aspect of the game is the story, but I will say I generally enjoyed the story missions. I do agree though, they should have saved the money and focused it elsewhere. Just strip out the stupid cinematics, etc. Not sure why they changed the cinematic art style either. The original Relic Homeworld/Company of Heroes cinematics is what people wanted.

I believe it's likely because when they had Fig backers vote on what core features people wanted in the game, a lot of people said 'story' and they likely mis-interpreted that for the cinematics.

I don't see this game as being 'ruined by sweetbaby'. At most of the cinematics maybe suffered because of Sweetbaby, but if you remove that I still feel this is a solid RTS. It just needs some tweaking of the controls & unit behavior.

I watched the final cinematic for HW3... just goofy and lame. A game with a story like that better have solid game play and a good UI, unit control. Just from my time in the beta, I know it doesn't. Yet another bad sequel that isn't half as good as its predecessors.

I watched the final cinematic for HW3... just goofy and lame. A game with a story like that better have solid game play and a good UI, unit control. Just from my time in the beta, I know it doesn't. Yet another bad sequel that isn't half as good as its predecessors.
I personally think it’s on par with HW2 once some stuff is fixed. It’s got a lot of potential for MP with the war games mode.

I personally think it’s on par with HW2 once some stuff is fixed. It’s got a lot of potential for MP with the war games mode.

I think it is too bland. Building sub systems gone. Sub system targetting/disabling gone. Missing some unit types. Upgrade system simplified. It isn't awful, once they fix it, but relatively flat.

I think it is too bland. Building sub systems gone. Sub system targetting/disabling gone. Missing some unit types. Upgrade system simplified. It isn't awful, once they fix it, but relatively flat.
I think that’s where the other factions will come into play. Keep in mind the subsystem thing is 50/50 a lot of fig backers who voted said they didn’t like it.

The campaign is good so far. I think I'm on the 3rd or 4th mission. Controls are still wonky. I'm using the legacy ones. May try whatever new system they came up with tomorrow.

Graphics are great, except for explosions - like someone said earlier.

I agree with what others said on the story, it is lacking and simplistic.
Gameplay feels like homeworld which is great.
Seemed shorter than I'd like.
Only interested in campaign so the controls didn't bug me too much, tried the new control system.
Didn't feel like a AAA game so the $60 price tag might be a stretch; however, $70 is the new AAA game standard.
Didn't encounter any game breaking or significant immersion breaking bugs.
I'd probably give a rating of 6.5, 7 tops.
As usual I abused the ship capturing system and had like 75 destroyers and a ridiculous amount of frigates. Sad BCs cannot be captured.

Soooooooo its been added to the Sweet Baby Inc detected steam list.....next level retardation that an RTS game needs to pander to DEI.

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44858017/

Good thing I didn't pre-order. Fucking Gearbox.
The Centre for Digital Media is a Canadian school.
https://thecdm.ca/

Diversity in Games, however, is a group that promotes people with the "correct" viewpoints into industry jobs.
https://www.diversityin.games/
https://ca.linkedin.com/company/diversityingames

KabrutusRambo has a video discussing more specifics, like the lead writer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ede2F1o5aQ

The game was made by Blackbird Interactive and published by Gearbox. BBI was founded and is still run by the guys from Relic Entertainment, who made the original Homeworld games.

Count me amongst those who believe that the game has problems but also a great deal of promise. I dislike resource collectors bugging out, support ships not being selected when selecting an area, and some of the other various gameplay issues. However, all of these strike me as fixable. The fundamentals of the game itself seem to be solid. HW3 has been stable on my PC and I can’t really say that I’ve dealt with any crashes.

Back