Dead PSU?

Folly

Weaksauce
I purchased a Seasonic Titanium Prime 80+ 850w PSU about 7 years ago but the planned build never happened.
Tried putting a build together recently and decided to use this PSU, however I couldn't get the PC to boot. I've done all the usual checks, all connections are fine, everything is grounded, mobo cmos battery and fuse in the PSU plug both replaced.

When I switched the PC on there is a single click, the PC seems to receive power momentarily, the LED for CPU fail flashes then it dies, all this takes place in about a second. I decided to buy one of those PSU testers from Amazon and removed the PSU from the case, took out all the cables except the 24 pin and 4/4 pin CPU cable, and tried it again connected to the tester.

Exactly the same result, a single click, the tester screen lights up for a second although it displays no data and then instantly dies.

I would appreciate any suggestions for further testing or potential fixes as I really don't want to buy another unless absolutely necessarry. Sadly I removed it from the packaging years ago when I was about to put the aborted build together, it got stored away as I moved house soon after and the packaging got lost so I don't think it'll be easy to arrange for a replacement or refund, even if any warranty is still active.

Edit - the good news is Seasonic has a 12 year warranty with Prime Titanium products, so I will RMA the unit.

Last edited:
1694527239202.png

Sounds like you did the right troubleshooting. RMA is the right move.

Just a word about Seasonics customer service. Outstanding!

As mentioned above I bought the unit 7 years ago, only recently tried it, I messaged them about it and they opened an RMA within minutes.
I sent the unit to Milton Keynes where I assume they tested it and found it to be defective, now a brand new unit is on the way from Germany.

All sorted (bar delivery) within a week

Good to know that there are company's out there who know how to honour a warranty.
rma.JPG

Did Seasonic require a purchase receipt for warranty? I've got a dead 1,000watt Prime and looking to start an RMA but don't have the receipt for it. I purchase it 7-8 years ago.

Did Seasonic require a purchase receipt for warranty? I've got a dead 1,000watt Prime and looking to start an RMA but don't have the receipt for it. I purchase it 7-8 years ago.
Yes, they needed proof of purchase, I sent them a screenshot of the amazon order which included the date of purchase, they were able to match that with my name and the serial number.

Back