Building new SMP rig

Nvidiot

Limp Gawd
If I buy two XP3200+ cpus and either the Tyan Thunder K7Xpro or the MSI Master L how tough will it be to make the cpu's run at stock speeds? Assuming you can do the L5 bridge mod on the XP3200+ does anyone forsee any other difficulty w/ this kind of config if I do not wish to oc (that much ;-) ).

-Nv

If the cpu's are supoerlocked then it will be imposible to get close to stock speed.

Remember the fsb is only 133/100 and I think the max multi is 17 for 2.26 Ghz ( 2800+ ).
With any cpu that runs at a higher fsb you need to alter the multi to get it to run stock speed.

You're basically hosed unless you get a pair of older chips that aren't "superlocked". There's always that "convert to mobile" trick, but I doubt it works with MP boards. These days the XP->MP mod is really only good on 266fsb cpus, <= 2400+.
MP2800+'s are about the same price as the 3200+ anyway. I'd just get those & crank your fsb up to 140 (assuming you get a K7D)... maybe 150 if you're lucky. My rig runs at 150x15 (modded 2500+s from last summer), but fails prime95 after a couple hours. I've got all scsi & FC-AL drives though, and it's most often the IDE stuff that chokes at 150fsb.

Thanks.

I ended up going the Intel Xeon route as the Iwill DPI533 was very easy to overclock and get to 3.2 Ghz. The features are great except there must be some law against adding voltage adjustments to bios. I can't find any dual Xeon boards that have them. :(

Overall, I am amazed by the Iwill board and its ease of use, stability, and overclockability.

-Nv

must say i am suprised too since it can only handle pc2100 and u are going above the specs of that u must have bought some good stuff.

The features are great except there must be some law against adding voltage adjustments to bios.

Take a look here:Detailed instructions for DPI533 VCore mod

I used a Circuitworks Couductive pen to jump the voltage on my DPI533. Non-envasive and took about 2 minutes. Rock solid at 1.65v for months now. Some use solder or SMD grabbers to jump the VID's, whichever is easier for you. Or you can do the full above mod with the dip switches. It really is easy to do..

Just to check my math....if I use SMD grabbers I can just jump vid3 and vid4 together to get 1.675? Or in other words, what pins did you jump to get 1.65? I will probably start out with 1.55, so I want to be sure I do it correctly.

-Nv

Or in other words, what pins did you jump to get 1.65?

Gosh it's been months... ummm.. let's see. Looks as if I misquoted myself. I jumped VID3 to VID4 getting me 1.675v. For 1.55 you'd want VID4, VID1 and VID0 all set to 0. Good luck :)

Back