AM5 EXPO memory boot/sleep issue? Might want to try different memory.

David-Duc

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been having issue with memory/boot/sleep on a Ryzen 7900X + X670 Aorus Elite AX + GSkill Flare X5 5600 C36 (Samsung die - Microcenter bundle) since bought at launch: Early BIOS/AGESA would prevent the computer to wake up from sleep with EXPO enable and random boot failure, default BIOS loaded error. Later BIOS/AGESA updates seem to fix the sleep issue but the boot failure issue persists, some time even restart would fail too (boot failure detected). The system is completely stable if it manage to boot into windows.

After going through 10 BIOS/uEFI updates (YES, I'VE BEEN UPDATING THE BIOS EVERY TIME GIGABYTE RELEASE A NEW ONE) hoping that it would one day resolve the issue... I bought a different memory kit (TEAM TFORCE 5600 C32 - Hynix die - XMP 3.0). Fixed all problems and it even make the PC boot faster from cold boot too. XMP profile works and no further tweaking of timings/voltages required.

It's embarrassing that Intel XMP memory kit works better than AMD's EXPO on AMD's own platform.

Oof. It’s no wonder Microcenter here has boatloads of open box sets of that very same ram kit. Like all the time. I have the cas 30 GSkill 6000 freebie combo kit and it seems OK but I manually set the timings and voltage. Expo wasn’t stable on the first bios my board shipped with and I haven’t tried it since despite flashing to a couple of new bios.

Also it seems like Hynix is the way to go for ddr5 at the moment from what I’ve read.

Its not the profile, its the memory IC. Samsung is really bad at anything other than JEDEC this time around unless you really know what you're doing. You should do some manual tuning on those M-dies, you could probably pick up 10-15% performance with tighter secondary timings.

Last edited:
Back